In 1851 the Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad which was chartered to build a 50 mile long line from Rochester to Portage. Work on the northern section progressed swiftly and by 1853 the 18 mile line was completed from Exchange Street in Rochester to Avon. Little work was done on the southern portion of the line and in 1856 the Rochester and Genesee Valley sold the right-of-way to the Genesee Valley Railroad.
On June 1, 1858 the Rochester and Genesee Valley was leased to the Buffalo, New York and Erie Railroad for 10 years with an option to renew the lease for another 10 years. On July 1, 1871 the company was leased to the Erie Railway Company for a period of 180 years. The Erie assumed responsibility for operating the line, paying any taxes, and paying semi-annual dividends to the shareholders in the Rochester and Genesee Valley.
The line was operated by the Erie, Erie-Lackawanna, and Conrail railroads until 1996 when it was sold by Conrail to the Livonia, Avon and Lakeville Railroad.
- Gordon, William Reed. 1965. Erie Railroad Rochester Division.
- Livonia, Avon and Lakeville Railroad. Date Unknown. Predecessor Railroads -- History of the Lines that Comprise Today's LAL. http://www.lalrr.com/history.html