West Shore Railroad

History

The West Shore Railroad was built to connect New York City with Buffalo and compete with the New York Central.  The line was begun in 1874, reached Buffalo by 1884, and was leased by the New York Central in 1885.

The West Shore was the consolidation of numerous smaller railroads.  The Hudson River West Shore Railroad Company was incorporated on February 16, 1867, the West Shore Hudson River Railroad Company was formed soon after, on October 28, 1867 and the New York West Shore and Chicago Railroad Company was incorporated on July 13, 1870. The three companies merged on July 21, 1877 and operated as the New York West Shore and Chicago Railroad.  This company was sold and reorganized on February 18, 1880 as the New York West Shore and Buffalo Railway Company.

The (second) New York, West Shore and Buffalo Railway Company was incorporated June 14, 1881 as consolidation of North River Railroad Company (incorporated May 5, 1881) and New York West Shore and Buffalo Railway Company (of 1880).  The company began operating on January 1, 1884.

This company was not successful and was sold at foreclosure on November 24, 1885.  The West Shore Railroad company was organized on December 5, 1885 by the purchasers of the New York West Shore and Buffalo Railway who conveyed the property of the old railroad to the new company.  On the same day, the property of the new West Shore Railroad was leased to the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company for four hundred and seventy-five years.

An 1885 West Shore pass.

References