The Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) was one of the largest and most influential railroads in American history and had a myriad of lines in Western New York.  The Rochester Branch extended from a connection with the Buffalo Line in Hinsdale north to Rochester.  A portion of the railroad was built on the former Genesee Valley Canal which ran from Rochester to Olean.

History

The Rochester, Nunda & Pennsylvania Rail Road Company was established on April 9, 1870.  On January 10, 1872 the Rochester, Nunda & Pennsylvania Extension Rail Road Company was formed.  Two days later the Northern extension of the Rochester, Nunda and Pennsylvania Railroad Company was established.  The three railroads merged on May 17, 1872 to form the Rochester, Nunda & Pennsylvania Rail Road Company (of 1872). On March 24, 1873 the combined company merged with the Northern Railroad and Navigation Company in Pennsylvania to form the Rochester, Nunda & Pennsylvania Rail Road Company (of 1873).

The Rochester, Nunda & Pennsylvania Rail Road company was reorganized on June 26, 1877 as the Rochester, Nunda & Pittsburgh Railroad Company.  On July 11, 1881 this company merged with the Rochester, New York and Pennsylvania Railroad Company (of February, 1881) to form the Rochester, New York and Pennsylvania Railroad Company (of July, 1881).  This company was leased in 1882 to the Buffalo, New York and Philadelphia Railway. The BNYP was, in turn, acquired by the Western New York and Pennsylvania Railroad in September 1887.  Beginning on July 31, 1890 the WNYP was operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Lines and Stations

The following were the stations on the New York section of the line.

Station Mileage
Rochester
Genesee Jct.
Scottsville
Wadsworth Jct.
Fowlerville
York
Retsof Jct.
Cuylerville
DL&W Jct.
Mt. Morris
Tuscarora
Nunda Jct.
Portage Park
Portageville
Ambluco
Rossburg
Fillmore
Houghton
Caneadea
Belfast
Black Creek
Cuba
Hinsdale
0
5.8
12.3
14.5
23.9
26.3
28.2
33.1
35.3
36.9
45.2
48.4
56.3
57.7
60.2
64.0
67.9
72.1
75.1
78.5
86.4
91.1
98.7

Mileage is from Rochester.

Notes

  • There was a 2.9 mile branch from Scottsville to Garbutt
  • Hinsdale was the junction with the Buffalo Line

The Swains Branch extended from Nunda to Swains with the following stations:

Station Mileage
Nunda
Ross Crossing
Swains Junction
2.2
5.95
13.14

Mileage is from Nunda Junction.

Abandonments

  • Passenger service discontinued April, 1941.
  • Scottsville to Garbutt authorized for abandonment April 26, 1944. ICC Finance Docket 14487.
  • Rochester - Wadsworth Junction authorized for abandonment 1971 ICC Finance Docket 26147
  • Wadsworth Jct. - Hinsdale authorized for abandonment Jan. 15, 1963, ICC Finance Docket 21890

Newspaper Articles

References

  • Palmer, Richard. Mileage and abandonment information.